Friday, February 24, 2006

Decisions decisions decisions ...

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

Isn't it interesting how the smallest decisions can have lasting effects on your life?
I am graduating in a matter of months, and I can clearly remember myself just four years ago...
I was debating between NYU, Stony and St Johns...
each of these schools is located right here in NY, but I can't imagine how different life would have been
if i had chosen a different school...

Similarly today I had two places I had to be at a certain time, both located within the same building. One of these events, was a fundraiser type charity event with a bunch of stand-up comics, and the other a lecture with Shaykh Abdullah Adhami. I was sitting on the 10th floor eating dinner at the Comedy show when all of a sudden I just had a sudden urge to leave. The program had not even began, but something just didn't feel quite right so I took the elevator down two floors down and got there just as the Shaykh Abdullah event began.

As the Shaykh Abdullah event ended i thought about how Allah subhana wa ta ala protects us at times from certain things, and despite how much we plan how sometimes He allows our lives to take a different course. Perhaps from this different course your life will not change significantly but you will, along the way, pick up one or two things, whether they be gems of knowledge, glances and smiles from a stranger, or something completely different.

Sometimes things happen on a whim, and all of a sudden your life is changed... I think about all the times that I have by some chance avoided going to a certain place, only to later learn of events that had taken place that night, that even if I had tried to distance myself from at the time would have been virtually impossible to do so. But subhanAllah, at times Allah subhana wa ta ala removes us from this harm.

This leads to a whole different topic that I am constantly thinking about. Today I was talking to one of my friends and she subhanAllah said something so profound. She was mentioning something her husband had said to her about their relationship and she told me, "sometimes I wonder why Allah subhana wa ta ala is so good to me. What did i do to deserve this?" ... SubhanAllah I think if we begin to count the blessings in our life you really begin to question why ME? Why has Allah subhana wa ta ala chosen me to be Muslim? Why has He subhana wa ta ala granted me the company of so many righteous individuals? Why have I been granted the honor of being in the ummah of the most beloved of mankind, Muhammad salalahualayhi wa salam? What have I done to deserve any of these blessings?

And you realize, after all of these questions, that there is absolutely nothing that you could have done. It is out of his love and His mercy that He has chosen us to tread on this path of Islam.

Theres another dumb game that comes to mind that me and my friends always play: "what if we weren't Muslim".
SubhanAllah...if you really start to think about where you could have been its really really scary...and perhaps this isn't the best type of game to be playing, to try and guess what "could" have been. But what it does do, is make you realize how great of a blessing it is to simply just say that I am Muslim.


:)

wassalamualaikum wa rahmatullah