Friday, May 05, 2006

Graduation and things

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah...

One final is what keeps me from ending my undergraduate career...granted I will be back for graduate school here in the very same school, however there is something about four years of your life coming to an end that really causes you to re-evaluate ideals, ideas, relationships, everything...

SubhanAllah, just like that life flashes before our eyes. Moments of time that we thought would effect us forever, are easily forgotten, seconds of shame leave their mark on our hearts, and just like that they're gone.

This of course always, reminds me of the inevitable...death. These moments of time where I am caught in a place that I know will be of no benefit to me, I wonder if the angel of death will come to greet me and instead of returning to Allah in a state of joy if I will be ashamed of what I have accumulated...

then there are those moments, where in one breath you feel your heart more alive then ever, calling to Allah with every beat, and you know that there is nothing in the world that would stop you from reminiscing in knowing that you are one step closer to meeting your Lord..

SubhanAllah...a mere decision that was possibly made on a whim can affect something that you work your whole life towards...

Today I was finishing up a final paper and rushing to hand it in before the deadline...as I ran out of my apartment i dawned my glasses, a big old jilbab, and a hijab hardly pinned...i imagined the journey would be short, directly to the middle eastern and islamic studies department and then back before anyone caught hold of me...lo and behold I ran into a handful of acquaintances on the street. They looked at me and smiled as I rushed past them, knowing that this is not a state that I wanted them to see me in...yet I had no expectations for these meetings before leaving my apartment, it was simply by qadr that i ran into them in the street...

my failure to adequately plan the amount of time to properly put in my contacts, iron a decent jilbab, and pin my hijab securely resulted in presenting myself to individuals in a state i would call unfit...

it really makes me think, could death greet me in this same way?

something to think about..

wassalamualaikum wa rahmatullah