Tuesday, June 27, 2006

tests

assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah



Today some friends and I got together to prepare a little something for one of our friends that is getting married...In the process we took a break, which we are always good at alhamdulilah :), and ate and sat around and ended up talking more than working (go figure). We sat around and discussed normal girl things, the topic started on in-laws, went to cousin marriages, then made its way to weird marriages, compared to good marriages, talks about getting married too young, or too old, and then suddenly ended at child abuse/molestation/rape.

scary.

Somehow at my time at the Islamic Center many individuals approached me, both sisters and brothers (???) and told me about personal abuse stories, and i sat there absolutely shocked...

I didn't know why these people reached out to me, and frankly i had nooooooooooooooo idea what to say (especially to the brothers), most of the time I would refer them on to someone else...because i honestly would not even know where to begin. Twenty years later they seemed to be reliving the same pain, day after day after day. I would just look down at my hands, and think about how much these individuals went through, and still are going through. Tests come to us all in different shapes and forms, and some individuals subhanAllah are like the strongest people on earth because of the pain and hardships they've endured...often times not just once but numerous times...and then i begin to examine my own life. SubhanAllah why is that you are only grateful when you hear about calamities that fall on other individuals. I sit there and thank Allah for every blessing that has been bestowed on me, and protection from all the hardships that He subhana wa ta ala has saved me from, and somehow, once again, I wonder, what exactly made that individual go through these tests while i sit around and worry about....subhanAllah i can hardly think of a worry that I have today.

Often times i sit here and think that perhaps i am taking the easy way out in life...not that these individuals chose a path that allowed them to have hardships, but perhaps im doing something that is allowing me to live in the safety of my bubble. Or perhaps im doing nothing at all, which is the core of the problem.

Of course we shouldn't pray or hope for hardships, but perhaps we should take a closer look at our lives when everything seems at a standstill.

Allah subhana wa ta ala tests those that He loves and only tests them in their own capacity...
so are we amongst the loved ones?

(i pray that we are...)

wassalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

Labels: