Sunday, May 15, 2005

Navigation System

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

Yesterday I spent the day reading Love for Allah (again), and listening to two talks by Shaykh Husain, Firmness on the Path and Blessings of Our Teachers, and I think that was the best spent time I have had in quite a while.

Subhan'Allah its funny how as human beings we need constant reminders of things that we may already know. Like its obvious that we should love Allah, that we should stay firm on one path, and that our teachers are absolutely amazing, yet subhan'Allah its within our nature to forget these things, and when we stumble upon these gems over and over again it is as if we learn it for the same time, time after time.

Sometimes when I am reading or listening to these amazing words, I tell myself that I will never ever forget the lesson I have learned, yet weeks later, here I am back in the same spot. It is kind of frustrating, and I guess the solution is to just become more regular in my schedule and learning, and, as Shaykh Husain says in Firmness on the Path, to stick to one aspect of learning (ie Arabic, Hadith, Tafsir) and get it down cold, and then move on, instead of jumping all over the place. Sigh, I guess thats what our teachers are there for, the navigation system for life :)

Allahu Alim.

wassalamualaikum wa rahmatullah.