Thursday, January 12, 2006

When bad things happen to good people...

assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah.

this post is comin to you from the dirty south...Houston, TX.

So a lot has gone down in the past couple of days, my grandmother passed away, and I ended up here.

I knew my grandmother pretty well since I was very young, though in recent years I haven't seen her all that often.

So it came to me as a shock because she was perfectly healthy when she left this world, it was a simple heart attack that took her away from us.

Sooo when i heard the news i was surprised, and it didn't really hit me. The calls started coming and I didn't really know what to say. Later that night I sat down by myself in a dimly lit room, and i just thought and thought and thought. For some reason the idea of death, the fact that someone is permanently leaving this world, is not the thought the scares me. Rather I began to think about a multitude of other things, such as the grave, and the day of judgement. The thought that the opportunity to save yourself all of a sudden ceases to exist, really really frightens me. It reminds me of something that my dad always tells me when im being lazy. He'll ask me to do something, and I'll say that "meh badmay/kal karloogy" (i'll do it later/tomorrow), and he says "kaal kabhi nahin aatha hai" (tomorrow never comes). Meaning the more and more you put something off (ie becoming religious) it will never actually come, and so many of us, myself included,m put off a lot of things, thinking that we'll have time to do them later, however at times this door gets slammed in our face...

back to my nanni (grandmother)...she had called my house a week or so prior to her death, she called to tell us she was going on hajj and asked us all to forgive her. She had prepared everything for hajj and contacted everybody however due to chance her visa was denied (she was in india)...she was grief stricken about this and kind of kept to herself during this time, increased her ibaadah and recitaton of the Quran. During this time many of my family members called her and told her 'theres always next year...' and to this she replied to them, 'i may have missed my chance to got o hajj, but now im goign to see Hashim saab (my grandfather who has also passed)." At the time no one really knew what she meant by this, and on the day of Arafat she woke up to pray tahajjud when she had a heart attack.

Subhan'Allah.

The funny part is after i came to texas i heard a lot of people talking about her death...some cryng...some blaming it on a certain circumstances, etc. Funny thing is...this is death...no one can escape it. It can come and take you at any time and any place, and at that time pointing a finger at someone will do you no good. You'll leave this world, by yourself, face the questions, by yourself, face the punishment, by yourself.

So..

this goes on to a whole different topic i was thikning about...and am constantly thinking about... my relationship with individuals around me. Their affects on me, etc. Its funny how many people enter our lives, one by one, and how many leave one by one. So is it really worth it?

ill leave you with that..
and perhaps this will be continued...

wassalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

(the title of this doesn't really pertain, i was going ot go in one direction but didn't...perhaps one day i will, and the title will actually be relevant....behrayhal....pleasse keep my nanni in your duas, as well as my family, and ofcourse......Me)